"Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks." ~Author Unknown

email us at lilbugger.ca@gmail.com



Monday, April 4, 2011

Mixin' Monday - TACO PIE

I like to try new recipes now and then, and for the most part it always seems to be on a Monday, go figure. Maybe that's because I'm fresh off new groceries from shopping on the weekend, or because I have the energy to try something new earlier in the week?  For the most part it's a nice start to the week.  I have had a few disasters in my day that just add to the Monday blahs, but when they work out and my boys dub it a "keeper", I like to share.  So I've started a section called Mixin' Mondays where I'd like to share with you all our keepers. 

Today, I took a little break from using my bugs, and tried a new recipe from Kraft Hockeyville, the Easy Baked Taco Pie.  I tweaked it slightly to better suit our family's tastes and needs, but it was a huge hit and thought it would be perfect to share with you on my first Mixin' Monday!
Photo from the Kraft Hockeyville recipe.  Doesn't it look yummy??
Taco Night is a staple in our home, so it was a no-brainer that we would try this one.  I like it because it's not only easy, but it's easily adaptable for larger families by simply increasing the amount of meat and cheese, and by adding extra veggies and tortilla layers.  I made ours in a 2-litre casserole dish, and used two tortillas between each layer instead of the three that it called for.  I also sprinkled a bit of cheese between the tortillas, because you can never have enough cheese!  This fed four large servings with one left over and was super yummy!!
This is ours, just prior to baking.  It was DE-LISH!
prep time: 20 min
total time: 55 min
1 lb. (450 g) extra-lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped  (I used fresh green onions)
1 Tbsp. chili powder  (I used low-sodium taco spice, the flavour is more familiar to my children)
2 cups frozen corn, thawed, drained (I stirred it right in frozen, heating it through before baking)
1-2/3 cups (1/2 of 28-fl oz/796-mL can) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
6 small whole wheat tortillas
1 cup Kraft Tex Mex Light Shredded Cheese
sour cream (we just put a dollop on top of each piece)
HEAT oven to 375ºF.
BROWN meat with onions and chili powder (or taco spice) in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add corn and tomatoes; cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
SPOON Lay a tortilla in the bottom of an ungreased 1.5-L round casserole dish.  Spoon 1 cup meat mixture onto tortilla; cover with 3 tortillas (we used two, sprinkling cheese in between the layers), overlapping if necessary to fit dish. Top with 2 cups of the remaining meat mixture, 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture; cover.  (We managed three layers of tortilla/meat)
BAKE 25 to 30 min. or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted. Cut into wedges. Serve topped with sour cream.  Enjoy!

You can find a link to this, and all my Mixin' Monday recipes here or on our Recipes page.  You will also be able to find the nutritional information in most of the links.

Happy buggin' (and cookin')!

No comments:

Post a Comment